I’m registering for this short course: Colson Center “Preparing for the 2020 election.” And would like to invite you to participate.
Week 1: Politics and the Bible – Wayne Grudem
“Thank you for registering for the Colson Center Short Course “Preparing for the 20202 Election.” Below, you will find the recording from week one:
Feel free to share this link with family and friends. However, we do ask that you do not post the link to social media or any file-sharing sites (Youtube, Vimeo)”.
Part 1: Christian influence on government: Five wrong views
Part 2: A Better Solution: Significant Christian Influence on Government (~35 minute mark)
Week 2: “The Christian Citizen” presented by Bruce Ashford
Our culture needs “a people” to bring hope and a moral framework. God is acting and working through His people, the Church!
Develop a apologetic Biblical worldview of:
- Sphere sovereignty: responsibilities and boundaries of the three God ordained governments of family, church, and civil body politic. “Each family has certain assigned duties within its own sphere—education, health care, and so forth. But together families also contribute a molecular strength in the makeup of the two other trans-family governments, which are civil order and the church.” (“Federal Husband” Douglas Wilson)
- Biblical moral ethics
- Unity for the common good; charity – love your neighbor. Unity in our diversity, and what do we have to be united on? The Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights. Liberty and Justice for all. E Pluribus Unum: out of many, one. “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights” – The Declaration of Independence
Week 3 “Policies that Matter” by Mindy Belz
Religious freedom determines all other liberties and freedoms.
– Re-Education camps
– Hong Kong: faith and liberty https://ministry.family.blog/2019/10/11/hong-kong-faith-and-liberty/
– ISIS like Islamic terrorism on the rise
– a political football
– how much is man made?
– The Cornwall Alliance seeks to enhance the fruitfulness, beauty, and safety of the earth to the glory of God, and the benefit of our neighbors. https://cornwallalliance.org
– Turkey and Iran in particular
– Nationalism vs Socialism
Light in the Darkness
– People groups coming to Christ in the midsts of the turmoil
– Believed there are more Christians in China now than members of the communist party
Are we militarily ready for the weapons and tactics for Iran, Syria and Turkey?
– these are not ISIS and Al Qaeda, much more modern and devastating weapons.
The Life Issue
Week 4 – “Socialism” presented by Jay Richards
Socialism: collective or government ownership of the means of production; no or little private property; a stage of Marxist theory.
Marxism: Carl Marx; Communist Manifesto; conflict between classes of people.
More than 100,000,000 people have died as a result of Marxism in the 20th century. “Black Book of Communism” (excludes deaths from war)
Democratic Socialism: comes to power not by violent revolution, but by election; the policies would be the same; Venezuela has been destroyed by a democratically elected socialist.
Christianity and Socialism? NO
Do not be fooled by the false hope and idolatry of socialism!
8. You must not steal. (Exodus 20:15)
Do not take what is not yours. According to Martin Luther, “We must fear and love God, so that we will neither take our neighbor’s money or property, nor acquire it by fraud or by selling him poorly made products, but will help him improve and protect his property and career.”
10. You must not covet or desire your neighbor’s belongings.(Exodus 20:17)
Be happy with what God has provided for you and never want what belongs to others out of envy. “Have I looked with envy, jealousy or hatred toward the possessions, talents or achievements of others? Have I desired the downfall or loss of others out of evil intent that I might benefit? Have I grieved that God has bestowed greater blessings on others than on me?” (2) (3)
Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need.
For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is … covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.
- Book: “Money, Greed, and God“
- Article: “6 Christians Who Changed the World“
- Website: https://stream.org/
“And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.””
Luke 12:15 ESV
Thank you for being a part of the Colson Center Short Course series. Feel free to share these with family and friends. However, we do ask that you do not post the links to social media or any file-sharing sites (Youtube, Vimeo)”.
Schedule would look like this:
• February 4 – Wayne Grudem: Politics and the Bible
• February 11 – Bruce Ashford: The Christian Citizen
• February 18 – Mindy Belz: Policies that Matter
• February 25 – Jay Richards: Socialism
Colson Center “Preparing for the 2020 election.” This four-week short course will equip Christians to cast their votes confidently.
Please let me know if you would like the links and to participate in small group discussion, or if you would like the links but can’t make small group. Alternatively, instead of small group meeting I could post discussion points on the blog and we can have a discussion through comments or text.
Short course details: